Thursday, April 19, 2012

Summer Movies 2012 Pre-view


I'm honestly stumped for topics to write about this week because I don't want to write another sports article and I haven't seen any new movies. Still, I like the idea of looking ahead to some upcoming movies as I'm watching the baseball season unfold. Therefore, I'm going to use this space to preview summer movie season 2012. These are some movies I plan to watch this summer, and also films I think may deserve a look from the general public:

The Avengers: Release date May 4. This will be the first Marvel film distributed by Disney (with the exception of the Spider-Man films, all the others were distributed by Fox). I personally see this as a good thing. If there's one thing Disney does best, it’s marketing and creating high expectations (hype). This movie is what 4 years and five films (Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, The Incredible Hulk, and Captain America) have been leading up to, and you can expect Disney to build it up like no one's business. The Avengers will be the film that officially kicks off the summer season, and it will do so in grand fashion. I have hopes for this movie, especially since it's being directed by Joss Whedon (creator of nerd-friendly shows like Buffy and Firefly), but I don't know much more about it besides who the characters are. The one thing that I am sure of, with this movie, is that it's going to be big.



Brave: Release date June 22. Pixar’s Brave is another film with which I’m mainly basing my opinion on hype. I don’t know a lot about the creative team or voice actors, because none of them are Pixar regulars that I recognize, but the trailers for the film (Pixar’s first try at fantasy) look really good. I plan to see this movie. Pixar has earned my trust.

The Amazing Spider Man: Release date June 22.The second Marvel movie this summer, Amazing is a reboot of the Spider-Man films, previously directed by Sam Raimi and staring Tobey McGuire. This film will star Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker/Spider-Man, and will be closer to the original comic book, in that Peter’s first love interest will be Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone), instead of his eventual wife Mary Jane Watson. I will watch this film out of a sense of nerdy obligation, but I have my reservations about this executive-driven reboot. I loved Andrew Garfield in The Social Network, and I wish him and director Mark Webb the best in these films, but I’d rather keep Spider-man as far away from Sony as possible

The Dark Knight Rises: Release date: July 20. Another superhero film released this year. The Dark Knight (2008) was one of the greatest superhero movies ever made, and this film, it’s sequel, is probably the most anticipated blockbuster this summer.  This is the movie I am most looking forward to this year.

Other summer blockbusters that I will wait and see on, but may be worth checking out (if the reviews are good):

Men in Black III. Release date May 25.The first MIB movie was the perfect Will Smith action comedy - the second one, not so much. I don't particularly have high hopes for this third installment, but it certainly looks like their trying to bring some level of dignity to it with the casting (Smith and co-star Tommy Lee Jones are back, with the addition of Emma Thompson as another MIB operative).

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted. Release date June 8, Yet another three-quel to an unnecessary sequel to a good movie. Are you starting to sense a pattern too? If I were you, I'd save my money and watch the Penguins of Madagascar TV show instead of this cash-in.

Mirror, Mirror: Release date March 30.  This is the only movie on my “wait and see” list that I may actually check out. This is a spoof of the Snow White story, and from the ads, it looks pretty funny.  Like the other movies on my wait and see list,  I’m still going to wait for positive reviews on it before I check it out.