Monday, April 29, 2013

Summer Movie Preview



Before May kicks off the 2013 Summer Movie season, I want to highlight some of this year’s blockbusters that strike my interest. Fell free to check them out out if they sound interesting to you.

May 3: Iron Man 3
This movie marks the beginning of Marvel Studio’s Phase 2. Now that The Avengers has hit theaters, Marvel will continue to expand its cinematic universe until Avengers 2. Iron Man 3 looks to both expand the universe as well as tell its own compelling story.

May 10: The Great Gatsby
From the trailer, this movie just looks big. The sets look big, the characters look big, and the drama looks big. I’m currently reading the book, and I’m excited for the film.

May 17: Star Trek: Into Darkness
Hollywood just loves sequels. I really enjoyed 2009’s Star Trek and I’m looking forward to this one. Based on the trailer, it will be even bigger than the first film.

June 14: Man of Steel
This is another reboot of the Superman film franchise. Somehow, Hollywood can't seem to recapture the magic of the original Superman films. This film has a great cast with Amy Adams playing Lois Lane and Russel Crowe playing Jor-El, just to name a few. Director Zack Snyder is no stranger to comic book films, having already directed 300 and Watchmen. The film is also being written by the writer of Batman Begins. I'm looking forward to this one.

July 3: The Lone Ranger
This film is being produced by Disney and looks to have the same style as the original Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Jonny Depp is even playing Tonto in the film. This could be the blockbuster hit of the Summer.

July 26: The Wolverine
The second comic book reboot this summer. The first Wolverine film (X-men Origins: Wolverine) was a disappointment to both fans and critics. This film hopes to give Wolverine a better chance by adapting a critically acclaimed Wolverine storyline from the comics. Personally, I've never been a huge fan of the character, but I admit Hugh Jackman plays it well. All this film has to do is be be better than Origins, which honestly isn't much to ask for.

August 16: Kick-Ass 2
This the fourth comic-book film released this year and also the fourth sequel, counting Monsters Inc. 2 (though I'd rather rather not). I really enjoyed the first Kick-Ass film, but I have not read either comic book book that the films are based on. Still, there's plenty of time for me to read up, and I'm excited for this film nonetheless.

-Colin Vanden Berg